Tuesday 5 January 2016

The Day We Went to Bundeena - Place Review



A month or so before Christmas hubby and I saw some pics on a friends Facebook update of a beach that looked like a great place to take the girls to.

Upon enquiry we discovered that it was at Bundeena.

Neither hubby nor I had been there before.  Turns out it' s about an hour and a half from us so on 27th December, having survived Christmas Day and Boxing Day, we decided a road trip was in order so we went to check it out.




We really had no idea where we were going to just typed Bundeena into the sat nav and let it do the hard work for us.

We now know that Bundeena has four beaches....Bonnie Vale Beach which is in the Royal National Park, Gunyah Beach which is a small sand and rock beach, Jibbon Beach which is a secluded sandy beach favoured by the locals and Horderns Beach located near the ferry wharf with shops and facilities.

Horderns Beach won with the mention of facilities and shops, especially as it was about lunch time when we got there.

We can vouch for the fish and chip shop being good!!  We sampled their chips, fish cocktails, seafood sticks, calamari and chicken nuggets.





We sat in the park to each our lunch.  The park is popular with families barbecuing and having family gatherings.  The park also has some play equipment.




After lunch it was time to hit the beach. Hubby and I praised ourselves for remembering to pack fold up chairs for ourselves!  Even though it wasn't a really hot day the girls went in and then spent time building sand castles.

There were no waves to worry about and even though there were quite a few people there it didn't feel crowded at all.






After a few hours we packed up and headed to the facilities to get changed. Given that it was the day after Christmas and Boxing Day that might explain the poor maintenance of the ladies room...hopefully next time we go there we will find it to be better maintained.

When we arrived we were also lucky to find a parking spot both close to the fish and chip shop and the park and from there it was only a minute or two walk to the beach.  Parking could be a problem due to the number of families there for the day but then that is pretty typical in beach areas.





Overall I'd say Horderns Beach is a good place for younger children and a good place for a relaxing day.  Next time we visit we plan to head to Bonnie Vale Beach to see what that is like, I believe you can hire kayaks from there and there are picnic areas etc...

And you know the crazy thing.....the same day that we went their for the first time ever a Mum Of Five Girls facebook reader (and hopefully blog reader too!!) also went there for their first time ever and recognised it from a photo that I posted....crazy hey!  Then when I got home my niece had commented on my instagram photo and asked where we were and when I told her she asked what it was like coz she was heading there for the first time ever later that week....totally cray cray!!!


So tell me, have you been to Bundeena before.....have you know about this little gem all along...are we just a bit late to the party lol !!

By the way it was only a day or so ago that I decided to do a review of Bundeena....I would have taken better pics when we were there had I thought about it beforehand...sorry!

Linking up with Essentially Jess for #IBOT




10 comments:

  1. what a great find! I've been to Bundeena before but not really to the beaches. Will check it out next time I am in the area

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Bundeena before but will add it to my list of places to visit if I ever get down that way. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beach looks gorgeous but I can just about smell those chips! :) #TeamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't even heard of Bundeena. I do love visiting the beach though. We have so many beautiful beaches around us, that we have our pick on any given day. We are very spoilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very lucky Jess....there is something about being near the beach isn't there

      Delete
  5. Would you believe, it's been years since I have been to Bundeena and I live not far from the HWY turn off.
    You've inspired me, we'll have to take the kids.

    ReplyDelete