Wednesday 30 October 2013

September comes to an end with Dad Down Under's 365 'challenge'

Okay I know that in two more sleeps it will be November so this post is waaay late...but better late than never so they say!!

So Dad Down Under has set himself some monthly challenges and has invited anyone to come along for the ride.  You can check out his challenge here...

I decided to jump on board and drag the family along too!

The challenge for September was to exercise.....30 minutes of rigorous exercise 5 days a week.  


With never enough hours in the day I decided that we would have to start walking to school a few times a week and so we did.  This meant being a lot more organised and initially I had to have Miss 4's pram set up on the front porch so that I would literally trip over it if I tried to get to the car!!

I'm pretty sure that I was even more of a nightmare to live with during the first week as I adjusted to being more organised as well as feeling tired and sore!

I also decided to walk to Miss 4's dance lessons each Thursday which is just over 3kms away.....seemed so much further when racing against the clock to get there on time!!  This experience has been a really good one because we walk to dancing, Miss 4 will often initiate a game of 'I Spy' which we play using colours as she is a bit too young for using letters.....then we catch the bus home and something so simple really makes her day.

Initially less than enthusiastic about this month's challenge the girls took to wii dance as their option.  By the end of the month they were favouring wii dance over homework, chores, television!!  It was great to see all five of them having fun and exercising at the same time.

My proposed boot camp experience for Saturdays and Sundays didn't happen in September but we have recently started going down to park, jogging a few laps, throwing in a few burpees, push ups, squats etc...  Initially I had to drag the family down there under protest but after the first session the girls were already planning a day for the next one.


I must say that I do feel better for fitting some exercise into my days even if it hasn't been the most rigorous of activities.

I have recently added 'Couch to 5km' training into my week....nearly killed me the first few times but it is a little challenge that I am setting myself and hopefully I will get there....even if it takes a little longer than the app suggests!

I also managed to read another book in September 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow' by Claudia Carroll.



No comments:

Post a Comment